Why Choose us
Why Come To Portner Orthopedic Rehabilitation?
- If you are suffering with a painful condition affecting your arms, legs, neck or back.
- Because we are effective.At POR we are successful at accurately diagnosing the cause of your pain and then providing the specific,safe treatment to get you relief, allow you to heal and to rehabilitate you so that you may return to work, and to play and avoid recurrent injuries.
- Because we are experienced.Over the years we have seen tens of thousands of patients, and have performs thousands of procedures and injections.
- We have over 35 years of practice demonstrating our abilities to relieve the pain caused by these orthopedic conditions. we have dedicated our careers to the field of medical orthopedics and have be able to refine our techniques and expand our knowledge
- Because our therapists are highly trained and very excellent at what they do. it’s not just exercise, it’s not a hot pack or ultrasound or electrical stimulation. we get our hands on the injured structure and treat it directly.
- Because we listen. we are honest and we treat you with respect.
- Because we examine you with hands on, careful and methodical precision.
- Because our treatments are safe, non-surgical, and effective. we offer a variety of treatment approaches, matching the proper treatment to your particular diagnosis.
- We are a teaching institution and are current with all the latest developments in the field and the newest treatment available. including prolotherapy, platelet rich plasma (PRP), and stem cell treatments.
- Because we educate you to understand your injury, what happened and what you need to do to make it better and avoid future similar problems.
- Because we provide many necessary services right within our clinic, all under one roof.
- Because we respect you and see you on time.
- Because we are capable of dealing with the complex paperwork of car accident (no-fault), work injuries, and all other types of insurance
- Because we are centrally located downtown with ample and validated parking and have a satellite clinic in Kaneohe to serve our windward patients.
Celebrating 29 years
Celebrating 29 years and specializing in Non-Surgical Orthopedic Medicine, Sports Medicine, Pain management procedures, Physical Therapy, Therapeutic Massage, Workers Compensation Cases, Auto Accident Injury Cases, Prolo-Therapy, Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy (PRP), Stem Cell Therapy, Peripheral Nerve Stimulation, Radio-Frequency Nerve Ablation, Visco-Supplementation for osteoarthritis (“rooster comb”), and Cortisone Injection therapy.
Dr. Portner received his postgraduate, post-residency, training with Dr. James Cyriax, the “Father of Orthopedic Medicine,” based in London, England. Dr. Cyriax was a pioneer in developing the field of “Medical Orthopedics,” originating a system of hands-on diagnosis that literally changed the way this type of medicine was performed. Building on this training and experience, Dr. Portner has since dedicated his professional career to the sub-specialty of orthopedic medicine, or non-surgical orthopedics.
Full Service Treatment
We employ Hawaii’s leading Orthopedic Medicine specialists who apply time-tested principles of physical medicine and rehabilitation to help our patients recover fast. In addition to our Orthopedic Physicians and their arsenal of cutting edge treatments, we also provide a full range of options for an effective treatment plan including: Physical Therapy, Massage Therapy, and a full service support staff to help with insurance so you can focus on your recovery.
Workplace Injuries & Motor Vehicle Accidents
Our staff is specially trained to manage all of the complicated details for these patients in need. We are a preferred treatment partner, and our goal is to get you better as quickly as possible. Unlike those other guys we do not over-treat, under-perform, and rack up endless bills. We pride ourselves on being efficient and financially responsible.
Every single case deserves equal respect, compassion and dedicated effort, and making pain disappear is the best reward. Nothing pleases us more than discharging our patients from the clinic pain-free and getting them back to enjoying their normal activities.
Trained by the “Father of Orthopedic Medicine” Dr. James Cyriax, Dr. Portner believes in healing with a hands-on approach and has been practicing this unique sub-specialty for more than 30 years.
The human body is a mystery, and trying to apply a menu of popular textbook treatments to individual patients often just masks the true problem. At Portner Orthopedic, we believe that healing is an art form as much as a science, and that our patients’ bodies can tell us everything we need to know if we pay close attention.
Our approach is results-based, but also highly individualized. After careful physical evaluation, we apply personalized treatments in order to solve the issue for the long-term.
We know that painful conditions of the spine and limbs always have an underlying cause, what we call “the lesion” or a “pain generator.” We apply the basic principles of diagnosis in order to get to the root cause. Our skilled Hawaii orthopedic team collaborates to decide on nonsurgical solutions that are safe, effective and promote optimum healing. With a personalized treatment program that truly addresses the real source of pain, your chances of needing us again for the same problem are minimized.
Portner Orthopedic Rehabilitation is unique in that it combines the principles of four specialties: orthopedic medicine, physical medicine and rehabilitation, sports medicine and pain medicine. With several nonsurgical orthopedic treatments all under one roof, you have convenient access to hands-on physical medicine and alternative therapies that can be strategically combined to treat your specific needs.
Our Orthopedic Specialists, or rehabilitation physicians, are nerve, muscle, and bone and joint experts who have extensive experience improving movement after injury or illness. Our emphasis is on “function,” the most important word to understand when discussing just what an Orthopedic Specialist does. We work together to treat a wide range of problems from common problems such as sore shoulders and knee pain, to serious spinal injuries with the goal of decreasing pain and enhancing function and performance without surgery. Our patients are not only served by highly qualified Medical Doctors, and Physical Therapists, but also benefit from complementary treatments like massage therapy.
Common Orthopedic Conditions
- Back, Neck, or Pain in any other body parts
- Car accident and Work related injuries
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Sport injuries
- Arthritis and Geriatric Conditions
- Reduced function
- Foot, ankle and hand injuries
- Ligament injuries
- Degenerative joint or disk conditions
- Slipped disks
Health Care Partners
We accept most private insurances.
Our staff is also specially trained in Motor Vehicle Injuries and Worker’s Compensation Cases.
To request an appointment please fill out this form